articles by subject
How To Discover Business Assets
Criminal Motion Practice (with forms)
Trends in paralegal training & programs.
Getting Started as a Paralegal
ask the listserv
The Listserv is a free, e-mail discussion
group. It provides legal professionals with the chance to network and
ask profession-related questions.
Join the listserv
This long-running column examines ethics in
the paralegal profession. Do you have an ethical dilemma or question?
E-mail us today.
Recently Posted: Avoiding
Ethics Roundtable Articles
Today Job Bank
Paralegal jobs, legal assistant jobs, legal secretary
jobs, law librarian jobs, educators and more!
These paralegal job listings are free
to paralegals and employers. To post a job
description, fill out
form to submit your listing. Jobs are posted for 30 days. To
request your job posting be taken down before the 30 days expire,
please email the Job
More information for job-hunters may be found
below the "Articles"
link above and in the various categories to the left. In addition,
informative articles about the paralegal profession are highlighted
on our students
page and in upcoming issues of Paralegal
Please note: Free listings
are not available for recruiters or staffing companies, but advertising
opportunities are available. For more information, please e-mail
Buckwalter or call him at 305 860-5625.
Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North
Rhode Island, South
Virginia, West Virginia, Washington, D.C.
Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana,
Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New
Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas,
Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Washington
Title: Contract Administrator - Executive Office
Employer: American Society of Clinical Oncology
Employer's Website: www.asco.org/jobs
Location: Alexandria, VA
Salary/Benefits: Based upon experience
Posted: February 15, 2015
Are you a high-performing administrative professional or legal assistant looking for a new challenge and a rewarding opportunity within a premier and growing non-profit organization whose work touches every cancer patient? Do you have the skills to work with a database of legal contracts and to effectively provide focused support to an expert legal team in a fast-paced, results-focused work environment?
The American Society of Clinical Oncology (www.asco.org) is seeking an intelligent, organized, and motivated Contract Administrator with a minimum of 3 years of related experience to join a team of attorneys, paralegals, and administrative professionals in the Executive Office. By creating and tracking a wide range of contracts and legal transactions, the individual in this position helps the entire organization fulfill its mission of improving cancer care for all.
Responsibilities of this position include:
* Prepare simple contracts, non-disclosure agreements, amendments, and statements of work using templates under attorney supervision; assist internal business clients with negotiating business terms for simple contracts
* Ensure timely, accurate, and thorough data entry and tracking of contracts into contracts database; set up and maintain electronic signature of contracts; and manage approvals of contracts in accordance with company procedures while adhering to timelines
* Track and communicate the status of contracts to internal business clients and external parties and manage expectations accordingly
* Train and serve as key point of contact for users of contract database and contracting templates across the organization
* Prepare and administer contracting and procurement policies and procedures and make recommendations to improve efficiency; prepare reports on various contracting metrics
* Perform quality control of final contracts and work with internal business clients to resolve any issues discovered
* Participate in special projects as assigned
To qualify for this position, the candidate will bring:
* College degree or equivalent training or experience
* Attention to detail and consistency
* Ability to stay focused, organized, and effective while independently executing multiple priorities
* Self-managed with proven skills to use initiative and time management to prioritize work to deliver results
* Professional demeanor and presence, including the ability to handle confidential information
* Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills; team-oriented approach
* Enthusiasm, good judgment, and excellent communication skills (listening, verbal, and written)
* Word processing skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
The ideal candidate will also bring:
* Paralegal training or experience
* Previous experience in procurement or contract management
* Previous experience with contracts in the health care and information technology fields
* Proficiency in technical applications such as SharePoint and DocuSign or a similar e-signature application
ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking, growing membership organization that operates in a results-focused work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes over presence or time. This is an Alexandria, Virginia-based position that offers an excellent benefits package, subsidized parking or Metro benefits, and opportunities to participate in professional development programs. To learn more about ASCO, please visit www.asco.org/jobs
Please apply online click HERE
Title: Paralegal Specialist
Employer: US Department of Defense, Office of General Counsel
Employer's Website: View Job Details Here
Location: Arlington, VA
Posted: February 15, 2015
Mission Statement: This position is located in the Defense Legal Services Agency, under the direct supervision of the Deputy General Counsel (Intelligence), and the ultimate supervision of the General Counsel of the Department of Defense. The General Counsel, who also is the Director of the Defense Legal Services Agency, is the chief legal officer of the Department of Defense and is responsible for all legal services performed within and involving the Department of Defense. The General Counsel also is responsible for general supervision of the Standards of Conduct Program for all of DoD and, through the Standards of Conduct Office, administers that program for the Office of the Secretary of Defense and for other assigned organizations.
As a Paralegal Specialist you will be responsible for the following duties:
•Applies a complete comprehension of policies, procedures and operations of the federal government and the legislative process, and the skill necessary to evaluate independently the adequacy and/or sufficiency of requests for General Counsel action and to request additional data or further investigation, when necessary
•Utilizes knowledge of Department of Defense, Office of the Secretary of Defense, and Office of General Counsel missions, responsibilities, priorities, and procedures in order to respond to inquiries and requests for records, and to process documents and manage office communications.
•Maintains reference materials, to include the United States Code and the Code of Federal Regulations, Executive Orders and other directives pertaining to the full range of practice areas of the office.
•Maintains hard copies of frequently referenced DoD Directives and Instructions and accesses them electronically to provide to attorneys as necessary.
•Reviews and procures office supplies, maintains office records, prepares time sheets, liaises with other agencies, organizations and groups, maintains office equipment, and assigns and monitors clerical and secretarial functions.
Apply through USA Jobs. The position announcement is at this link CLICK HERE
Title: Trusts & Estates Paralegal
Employer: JRG Partners
Employer's Website: www.jrgpartners.com
Location: Sarasota, FL
Salary/Benefits: Excellent salary and benefits
Posted: March 3, 2015
Well established Florida Firm with 8 Florida locations and 1 in Europe seeking a Paralegal with a minimum of 3 years experience in Trusts and Estates. Must possess excellent communication skills, be articulate and work with minimal supervision
Please e-mail your Resume in Word Format to firstname.lastname@example.org
Title: Legal Assistant
Employer: McGough Law Firm, P.A.
Employer's Website: www.mcgoughlawfirm.com
Location: Columbia, SC
Salary/Benefits: Mid 20,000s
Posted: March 3, 2015
Columbia, South Carolina tax and estate planning boutique law firm seeks legal assistant team member in detail-oriented practice. Excellent candidates will be enthusiastic, outgoing, service-oriented individuals who can work independently in a fast-paced legal environment. Proficiency preferred in MS Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat PDF and web-based computer applications. Tasks incorporate clerical/administrative and legal duties, including communication with clients, scheduling appointments, preparation of legal documents, administration of cases, maintenance of client files and law office management tasks. Spanish language skills and experience with social media, event planning or marketing activities a plus.
Please send a blank email with the subject line “Legal Assistant” to email@example.com for an application packet. No phone calls please.
Title: Legal Researcher
Employer: Mendelsohn Legal, Inc.
Employer's Website: www.mendelsohnlegal.com
Location: Chicago, IL
Posted: December 3, 2014
Mendelsohn Legal, Inc. is seeking a dynamic, outgoing, personable, and motivated paralegal with a minimum of 5 plus years work experience to join our team. This is a unique opportunity to explore the legal field and market while interacting with a variety of successful attorneys. Responsibilities include market research and cold calling, base salary, commission, 401k and insurance benefits are included.
If you are interested in joining an energetic, fast-paced, growing organization, please contact Claire Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Employer: Eastern Kentucky University
Employer's Website: http://www.Click2Apply.net/pfcb6yp
Location: Richmond, KY
Posted: January 6, 2015
Eastern Kentucky University is accepting applications for Paralegal (University Counsel). The incumbent is responsible for researching legal precedent, investigating facts, reviewing contracts, and preparing legal documents as well as coordinating administrative office activities. Bachelor’s degree in Paralegal Studies and three years of previous work experience as a Paralegal is required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. All interested applicants must apply at jobs.eku.edu (search requisition#0616323). All offers of employment are contingent on completion of a satisfactory background check. Eastern Kentucky University is an EEO/AA institution that values diversity in its faculty, staff, and student body. In keeping with this commitment, the University welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.
Apply online click HERE
Title: Sr. Paralegal/Team Lead
Employer's Website: www.tgslc.org
Location: Austin, TX
Salary/Benefits: Commensurate with Experience
Posted: February 1, 2015
SENIOR PARALEGAL/TEAM LEAD
Min. Starting Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Senior Paralegal/Legal Support Staff Team Lead reports directly to TG’s General Counsel, works closely with the executive management team and the Board, serves as the liaison between the Legal Department and its internal and external customers, and supervises the legal department support staff. The senior paralegal also provides general and confidential support to the General Counsel. Must be flexible and willing to accept other duties, as assigned.
Must have a minimum of seven years of continuous experience as a Paralegal or Legal Assistant
Five years of supervisory experience of para-professional and administrative personnel in a corporate legal department or law office setting.
Preferred Qualifications: Paralegal certificate and/or relevant higher education.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Skill set must include strong written and verbal communication skills, keen attention to detail, strong organizational and time management skills, self-direction, critical thinking, professional judgment and demeanor, and the ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality. The ability to maintain a high rate of accuracy and production under deadlines in a fast-paced environment, to track multiple projects and manage various competing matters is critical, as well as the ability to organize, manage, and motivate staff to accomplish assigned tasks and responsibilities. Extensive experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is preferred. Work occasionally requires more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position. Skill set must include the ability to manage paraprofessional staff, work well with attorneys, and manage “up” as warranted. Patience, the ability to explain and mentor, the ability to provide correction in clear and understandable terms, and subject- matter expertise, are essential. Strong formal writing skills, including the fluent use of legal terminology, are required.
Required knowledge and experience:
•Entity management and corporate maintenance – Will ensure the corporation and its subsidiaries have all necessary qualifications to do business and the appropriate business licenses. Must have a keen understanding of this area of compliance and an acute understanding of the need to meet deadlines and due dates.
•Corporate record books and board meetings – Will assist the executive management team with preparing for board meetings and creating and maintaining corporate records. Must be able to create agendas, resolutions and corporate records, as well as possess a general understanding of corporate law.
•Transactional and corporate – Will oversee, in collaboration with attorneys, all requests for legal contract assistance and assure paralegal assistance with drafting, reviewing and finalizing contracts, grant agreements, amendments, addenda and other various documents. Must be able to also provide support in this area.
Resumes will not be accepted without a completed TG application, available at www.tgslc.org/careers
For more information, e-mail email@example.com or call (800) 252-9743.
Employer: Marrick Medical Finance
Employer's Website: www.marrickmedical.com
Location: Centennial, CO
Posted: February 8, 2015
You will interact with Marrick’s attorney to ensure that Marrick is properly handling all legal issues as they arise. You will engage with multiple departments within Marrick to ensure the legal aspects of the business are properly addressed. Organization, attention to detail, thoughtfulness and proactivity are key traits for you to succeed.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Review, organize and summarize documents produced by other parties and medical health care providers
• File legal documents with the court
• Keep track of pretrial and trial order deadlines
• Responsible for the handling of legal filings under the supervision of outside counsel
• Perform legal research, bookkeeping and other general office tasks
• Act as liaison between Marrick, attorneys and medical providers
• Reviewing relevant multi-state laws on personal injury
• Serve as key internal resource for numerous attorneys and medical providers
• Review and Track Litigation documents
• Review and Track Medical provider and vendor contracts and agreements
Desired Skills and Experience
• Willing to learn new material regularly
• Able to work at a fast pace and ensure accuracy and consistency of work
• Willing to assume full ownership over all assigned work
• Self -starter who is motivated, organized and detail oriented
• Ability to ascertain when to seek outside legal counsel to obtain expert advice
• Ability to work as a team player to effectively ensure co-operation in finalizing tasks.
• Ability to recognize legal and technical issues and effectively recommend course of action.
• Ability to draft documents with minimal supervision.
• Recognition of problems and abnormalities and exercise judgment to resolve.
• Ability to analyze information and matters, determine required information and seek action to obtain that information.
• Ability to handle pressure and deadlines.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines in and organized and efficient manner
• Clear, concise and persuasive written and oral communication skills
• The ability to understand legal contracts and legal documents
• Capable of prioritizing and reprioritizing tasks
• Knowledge of medical terminology, medical expense itemizations, deposition summaries and demand packages.
• 3 years legal experience
• A strong knowledge of the personal injury/ litigation process
• Experience with interpleader procedure, subpoenas, 902 affidavits, mediation and settlements
• Expert level with Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Outlook 365
• If you think you are the right candidate, submit your resume, salary requirements, a brief description of why we should hire you and answer the following questions.
1. My best friend would use these five words to describe me.
2. My most current employer would use these five words to describe me.
3. Why do you like legal work?
4. What is your favorite TV show?
5. What is your favorite food?
submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Title: Corporate Paralegal
Employer's Website: www.Facebook.com/Careers
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posted: December 17, 2014
Facebook is seeking a talented Corporate Paralegal to join the Legal department’s corporate and securities team. You must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment and work proactively with various teams across the organization, including Finance, Corporate Development and Human Resources. This is a full-time position based in Menlo Park and will report to the Associate General Counsel, Corporate/Securities/M&A.
Maintain corporate minute books and records for the company's domestic subsidiaries
Support merger and acquisition transactions, including entity formation, due diligence, document preparation, closing mechanics and post-closing integration and administration
Manage corporate filings with state, local and other government agencies
Assist with ongoing securities laws compliance, including preparation of Section 16 reports and other Exchange Act filings
Assist with annual meeting of stockholders, including preparation of proxy statement and coordination of annual meeting
Assist with implementation of corporate policies, including code of conduct and insider trading policy
5+ years experience, in-house experience a plus
Bachelor’s degree preferred with strong academic record
Excellent organizational skills, superior work product, and ability to work well with cross-functional teams
Strong analytical skills with ability to apply legal requirements to practical business needs
Understanding of relevant federal, state and key international laws and regulations
Flexibility and willingness to work extended hours when necessary to complete projects in a timely fashion
Talent for thinking creatively in confronting new issues and pursuing novel approaches to old problems
Via Job link: Click Here
Paralegal Today does not verify the the truth or accuracy
of the listings, the ability of employers to offer job opportunities
or the ability of applicants to fill job openings. Paralegal
Today encourages employers and applicants to independently verify
any claims made by the parties in which they are interested.